simple. pure. love. goals for 2018
It was just about a month ago when I sat down in my “happy place” and declared New Year’s resolutions for simple. pure. love.
2018 goals were as follows:
- To improve the online store, including shipping and allowing for [personalized] essential oil options.
- To improve the product packaging, including professional labeling and [tamper-evident] product seals
- To introduce new products, including fluffier body butter, a creamier body lotion and an insect repellent for the upcoming spring season
- To build up the Resources page with more information about ingredients, essential oils, links to great online sites, and recipes for you to try at home
- And to write more informative blogs and emails on a more scheduled basis.
Goal # 1
To improve the online store, including shipping and allowing for essential oil options.
This is still a work in progress, but I have set up shipping for within Connecticut. Heavy items like Bath Salts are set to a more expensive (yet fair) shipping rate to cover the cost of size and weight. Lip balm purchased alone is set to a significantly lower cost. Gift certificates ship free. There is a flat rate for all other products. Right now, all products are shipped through USPS. I am still working to find better plug-ins that work with Woo Commerce through WordPress (website mumbo jumbo) to make shipping easier for us all.
As for essential oils, I still need you to send me a note via email or at the time of checkout to let me know your desired scent (only if you’d like to personalize your product). Still trying to learn website development and improve my plug-ins (same mumbo-jumbo) to make the experience easier and more accommodating for you.
Goal # 2
To improve the product packaging, including professional labeling and product seals
I am currently designing a whole new label that includes clear and comprehensive product information, lays flat and beautifully on the jars, and meets FDA standards (more on that another time). As of this week, all products now have tamper-evident seals, including the lip balms. But, this goal is still a work in progress.
Goal # 3
To introduce new products, including fluffier body butter, a creamier body lotion, and an insect repellent for the upcoming spring season
I think I nailed it with the fluffier body butter. I also introduced a new vegan lip balm and have more new recipes in the works. For spring, I’ll add the new spray to deter bugs naturally.
The lotion is not going to happen. Lotion requires water and water introduces bacteria, making the shelf life of a product practically nil without added preservatives, even if stored in the refrigerator. I’ve yet to find a real lotion recipe that aligns with simple. pure. love’s mission – “Ingredients you know.” Our products do not contain water, making this easier for all of us. Vitamin E is a natural preservative. Every one of our products is made with ingredients high in natural vitamin E or include pure vitamin E. So, at this point I’m shelving the lotion goal.
To build up the Resources page with more information about ingredients, essential oils, links to great online sites and recipes for you to try at home
I’ve been adding more information every week. It’s all on there:
- Recipes and information about the ingredients you’ll need to diy
- In-depth information about essential oils
- Books and blogs to read
- Local and online stores to shop for ingredients or additional wellness products
At some point I’ll add tutorials and videos, but I have a lot of foundation work to set before diving into a whole new project. If there are things you’d like to see added to the website, please let me know!
Goal # 5
My final goal – to write more informative blogs and emails on a more scheduled basis.
I set a schedule for Monday, Wednesday and Friday posts, with additional posts as they come up.
- Monday is informative – something to share that’s worthwhile.
- Wednesday features a product or is specific to simple. pure. love.
- Friday is informal – a recipe I found online, a personal note, or brief info about a new product that will be joining the shop.
Weekly emails are sent out to subscribers (sign up if you haven’t already). And blog posts are now posted automatically on Facebook. I’ve even added a new “Share This” at the end of each post, so you can “Read the blog. Share the love”.
There are a few good blogs that I’m working on and will be posting in the near future. And I have a long list of topics I’d like to write about, but right now it’s slow going while trying to accomplish my other goals and make products (and be Mom).
Loving it all and feeling very thankful. (Is there an emoji for that?)
Much love and peace,
Love and peace to all.